Re: Installer online help

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 04:41:59PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> >> nano-tiny -T15 -v /help.txt
> >
> > why not zcat /help.gz | more ?
>
> That would work, but I used tabs to make two columns; using the editor lets
> me choose how much space for a tab so it's more readable and also gives the
> novice an interface to use to search for keywords, and scroll back and
> forth.

you can format it without depending on specific editor features.  and
i thought more could scroll backwords, at least some implementations
can.  it just uses control keys and not the arrows iirc (this was back
in my Digital Unix days).

> > we could save space using the above command.  reading files in editors
> > is bad practice.
> >
> Isn't it all compressed by the time it gets into root.bin?

not the point, we don't have much room on the filesystem itself, the
larger the filesystem gets the larger the disk image gets.

when i first started hacking boot-floppies the pmac root disk was
larger then 1.44MB compressed, so the disk image was trunicated and
thus useless.  i had to remove ybin and yaboot to make it all fit
again.  (i modified ybin so it can be run from the target system).

please send a updated version of your help doc formatted to work with
more and i can apply it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/