Re: powermac boot-floppy patches

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:07:30PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 08:39:27PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
>
> i have only newworld hardware to test on..

My only newworld machine is my use-it-for-everything laptop. I plan to
use it for some limited testing once I'm happy with the installing on
the 7600 I rescued from the trash.

> one thing i think we should add is a dialog explaining that making an
> oldworld bootable usually requires some effort on the part of the user
> no matter what, typically running apple's System Disk control panel to
> get the nvramrc patches, and of course the ritual goat sacrifice.

Hmmm. I never had to do this, perhaps I'd better thoroughly read your
documentation and then go back over what I've written. The only real
trick was the goat sacrifice and I'm use to that from supporting
Microsoft stuff.

I can do the nvsetenv from C, the only odd bit was that I had to use,
for example,  ofpath '/dev/sda' and append a 0 instead of '/dev/sda6'
for boot-device. Fortunately, this was documented several places because
it's a known "feature."

> it should probably be a dialog letting the user backout, since if OF
> fails to boot they will get the notorious `black screen syndrome'

I should definitely clarify that bit about the black screen and probably
include a note about cmd-opt-P-R.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>