Re: powermac boot-floppy patches

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 03:57:00PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 07:21:54PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > or it can just run the wrapper /usr/sbin/yabootconfig -q -t
> > > =2E.. without bothering with the environment variable it doesn't really
> > > matter what way we do it, whichever you think makes most sense.  i
> > > think the wrapper should be there for point 1 alone anyway... =20
> >
> > I'd use the wrapper.
> >
> > Is anyone working through the dbootstrap patch or should I hack on that?
>
> i was looking at the code yesterday, i would suggest changing the
> PLILO thing to simply QUIK, and create a new yaboot function for
> installing yaboot.   then its just a matter of calling the right one
> depending on Arch3.

This is pretty much what I did. Hopefully I'm calling yabootconfig
correctly.

> Stephen Marenka mentioned having some preliminary patches already, we
> should probably look at that first to avoid any effort duplication.

Sorry I didn't get them in earlier. All my patches are included,
although I haven't fully tested them. I finally got a full install
(rebooted and all the way up) on an OldWorld PowerMac, including quik.
The patches I needed to make that work are in here, but untested.

> one other side issue, do we plan to support IBM CHRP hardware?
> (RS/6000 and such) these machines also use yaboot, but install it a
> bit differently.  yabootconfig and ybin already support that.  the
> difference dbootstrap is interested in is they use msdos disklabels
> and a type `0x41 PPC PReP Boot' bootstrap partition, yaboot is
> directly dded to it (mkofboot does that).

Doesn't sound too tough, I'll write patches if you spell out what you
want and someone is willing to test.

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>