Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 07:01:33PM +0200, Giorgio Terzi wrote:
> Hello Sven

> > what program are you using on the floppy disk ? I suppose that if it is the
> > same as the one you use normally, it would be dependent on warp-up. But i
> > guess warp-up is not in rom, so did you put it on the floppy also ?
>
> I am trying to use our classic kernel loader " `bootstrap` ".
>
> > Did you try it with the standard powerup stuff ? Since you are booting from a
> > floppy, this should be the standard setting, is it not ?
>
> I shall test it...
>
> > Could you provide us with some logs (bootstrap & dmesg) of the crashed launch
> > ? Post it to the linux-apus list please. Also the script you use for
> > launching could be usefull.
>
> >> I am trying to understand why...
>
> OK, i finish my tests and if i can't find solutions i will.
>
> >> For an 880k floppy the space problem makes impossible to do it.
> >> But i wish to be contraddicted... :))
> >
> > Well, we could split the kernel in 2 and join it in ram: before launching it.
> > Or we could try for a less than 880Ko modular kernel, but i have not big
> > hopes on this one. Michel Daenzer is the apus kernel package maintainer for
> > debian.
>
> As rightly written by Geert Uytterhoeven is possible to join in ram the kernel
> but
> as he also writes there maybe problems with Amigas with a small RAM amount.
>
> > BTW,
> >
> > Upto now, you were able to bootstarp from the floppy disk set,
>
>   No... because as written on top this letter i am testing " `bootstrap` "
>   on floppy.
>
>   and able to
> > install and configure the kernel & modules, isn't it. All this with the
> > 2.2.10 kernel.
>
>   Yes, also using floppy-disks.
>
>    (btw did you solve the 2.2.19 requirement of install.sh ? did
> > you try the little patch i sent to you yesterday or the day before ?
>
>   Right! , another thing i must put in the test's list.
>
> > floppies useable. You could try the networked (trough ppp) install after
> > that, but i guess this should be ok.
>
> With ppp ? Nice...
> But i was not able to find a ppp configuration mask in the
> network section of dbootstrap program...
> is it a new feature?

Just select the configure the network menu item, and it should ask you if
youare going to use ppp or eth, if you choose ppp, i think it will ask you for
all relevant info, and configure pppd for you (even fire up the connection
before downloading base.attar.gz). Not sure this is still so though, but i
guess it is. Nothing apus specific here thoguh.?

> I haven't found the woody's base tarball, maybe is still early,
> or maybe i have not found its right path,
> but its path is so in ftp as in CD-ROM i think:
>
> dists/woody/disks-powerpc/current/

yes, i think, not sure though.

Maybe there is not yet such a thing, is there a i386 one already ?

BTW, normally you should be able to build it from the archive during the boot
floppies build. It was so for potato.

Friendly,

Sven Luther