Re: woody release task needs help: package priorities

* Michael Stone

| On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 03:16:53PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > IMHO, a system without talk and talkd is too limited.  Have it only
| > listen on loopback, if security is the problem.
|
| That's YHO. I obviously disagree. :)

:)

| I haven't used talk in years, and you could probably find a large
| number of people who don't even know what it is.

And then you show it to them and they are _so_ happy.  It is a very
nice tool for working together, while being in separate places.  Lots
of people don't know of some of the other "obscure" unix tools either,
but that doesn't mean they are useless.

| Shoul *your personal belief* that a system without talk is a broken
| system be enough to force make it part of a default debian system?

I said that 'I want that'.  If enough people say "I don't want that"
or "I want that", then the decision on whether it should be kept is
based on that - remember: rough consensus.  If I were not to raise my
voice, no one else might either and talk might be removed even though
many wanted it.

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.