Re: Where is the base tarball?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 05:09:22PM +0200, Attila Nagy wrote:
> > The woody boot-floppies use debootstrap, which builds the base system
> > on the fly from individual packages.  These packages can be available
> > locally (via a hard drive, CDROM, etc.) or over the network.
> I don't really understand what does this mean.
>
> What should I do to get all the stuff, necessary for a CD based install?
> If I build a CD with the files in
> debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current the system is uninstallable
> (from CD), because of the lack of the base tarball.

You'll need all the base and required packages, and you'll need
them in the proper archive locations.  You can find a list of the
packages in debootstrap at /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/woody .

> > The current CVS version of debian-cd should allow you to create CD
> > images which contain all of the files necessary.
> AFAIK, debian-cd uses the boot stuff from the above directory, so it
> produces CDs which you can boot but can not install the system.

I've never used debian-cd, but presumably you can just specify
which packages you want to include, and it will make sure they all
show up in the right places on the CD.

> > Unfortunately, the woody boot-floppies themselves are seriously
> > broken, so you probably won't be able to use your fresh CDs.
> I have noticed that, that's why I want to solve this as soon as I can. :)

Great.  I (and presumably others) look forward to your feedback.

Matt