Re: dpkg, udpkg and busybox

Joey Hess wrote:

> Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > Well... putting it into busybox will bring it down to 7 or 8 kB with
> > full support, so it will still be smaller than an incomplete standalone
> > version.
> >
> > Even so 2.5KB to make it compatable with the proper tools sounds like a
> > bargin to me.
>
> What are we gaining from this "bargain"?
>
> I don't see any gain.

1) integrating the installer with post-install packaging
2) easier to develop and debug
3) once its working in busybox it can be standalone and not depend on
any other system tools, which makes it handy as a backup, thats not
directly a bonus for the installer, but if dpkg does stay in busybox i
think it will inderectly befit the installer as it will be maintained
with size in mind.

Glenn