Re: One or two floppies (was: first weekly debian-installer status report)

Vaidhyanathan Mayilrangam wrote:
> The base kernel takes 385K and all the net drivers take 575K. It essentialy
> means it is a two floppy install (unless there is someway a user could choose
> only the drivers he/she needs). It is a catch-22 here.. We need to know the
> NIC card to choose the driver, but we need the module before that..
>
> 3. Create a mutliple boot floppies for different combo (Nuff Said)

I never thought we'd be able to fit *all* the nic drivers in the kernel.
The nic drivers supported by the potato compact floppies seems like a good
start. (Can you check how bug that set is?)

> 4. Can we fit in a code to detect NIC and activate it in about 400K.. If so,
> we can have one floppy with kernel and the net drivers and 400K code which will
> activate the NIC and start downloading everything ??

We won't know until we try.

--
see shy jo