Re: Installing with 2.4.0-test8 and devfs, problem with floppy

Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org> writes:

> On Fri Sep 22, 2000 at 02:45:52PM +0200, Petr Cech wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 01:32:13PM +0200 , Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > > So instead of having 2 different inittabs to choose from I changed
> > > init.c to cope with it. I also changed getty to cope with it (diff is
> > > send to maintainer and upstream) for after installation.
> >
> > couldn't the rescue floppy have devfs packagem that installs the
> > "compatibility links" in /dev, so if init discovers it's running 2.4 kernel
> > with devfs it executes it and we have /dev/hda again.
> > And the documentation stays the same. You'll still have /dev/hda1 and not
> > /dev/ide/0/1 (or whatever).
>
> I like this approach much better.  Or (depending on its size) we could
> install devfsd...

Many people don't like to have jet another demon running and devfsd is
only ment as a temporary fix for old software. I don't intend to use
it.

Using a linkfarm would of cause be possible, but then one would giveup
all the advantages of devfs. Forcing devfs for the installation would
probably save 1 to 2 MB of the root disk and autodetection of the
cdrom drive or partitions could be greatly simplified. No more option
to use the second floppy drive one doesn't have or problems that
/dev/hda9 does not exist or /dev/sde-g.

I also tend to disk names, partition names and ext2lables instead of
device names like /dev/hda5, so root will be on
/dev/drives/system/root and home on /dev/drives/raid/home and swap on
/dev/drives/swap (for example).

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin

PS: lvm support will also alter the name of partitions, so hdaX will
be gone soone I hope.