Two new goals?

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 05:45:11PM -0400, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Hmm.  I beg to differ.  I've been working on accessibility of Linux to
> blind users for some time.  They can't use the video display,

Right. Do we have a blind volunteer who can help with testing the new
installer? I think we should add support for blind people while we
are at redesigning the installer...

> >This is more or less what I've done in my hackish slink
> >auto-installer.  It doesn't use debconf and doesn't have a
> >configuration interface but I can create profiles with a text-editor
> >and load them for the installation.  It has been used by people
> >knowing only ms-windows to install a lot of machines in production
> >environments.
>
> This touches on the second way a blind person could install Debian -
> prerecord some configuration info then auto-install.  Red Hat's
> kickstart works this way - no need to go through one installation
> manually before auto-installations can start.  Please keep this
> scenario in mind while designing the new installer.

Two new goals?

- Make Debian installable to blind people (on systems where serial console
  support is available)
- Document all installer variables so you can even install the first
  system without user interaction

Thanks

	Torsten