Re: [woody] udpkg progress

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 07:39:35AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Is it possible to just make the installer stuff use separate directories
> > and make it not conflict with regular .debs? (eg, /lib/busybox/bin, and
> > have the installer just use an odd PATH) If so, you can upload it right
> > now, and use the real .debs in a real Debian install for testing. "misc"
> > or "utils" is probably a good enough section in this case.
> I'd prefer to have a separate section because it makes life easier for
> the installer if it's pulling modules right off a debian mirror -- if
> all the installer stuff is in one place, it can easily find all the
> modules it may want to install, without having to sort through the rest
> of Debian.

Hmmm. This will probably cease to work as soon as package pools get
rolled out.

> Besides, we're _going_ to have conflicts. /sbin/init comes especially to
> mind.

/sbin/init is executed when you first boot into Linux, which is presumably
before you're going to be using udpkg, and is hence presumably before you're
really going to worry about any conflicts. So one possibility is when making
your boot image, add an unpackaged symlink, a la:
	/sbin/init -> /lib/busybox/sbin/init
. Another, probably better, solution would be adding a boot parameter like
"init=/lib/busybox/sbin/init".

At the very least, please try avoiding as many of these conflicts as
humanly possible. Being able to test (parts of) boot-floppies without
having to reboot into them is surely a win, no?

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark