XF86_SVGA missing?

First off, a bit hats off to the new debian 2.2r0 installation.  Within 20
minutes I was up and running a telnet session to fetch my mail.
However, I'm still very unwise in the arts of making things work and I could
use a pointer or two.
(read I'm a newbie)

I am trying to install the X window system and I run XF86Setup, only to find
the following error when it tries to connect.

XF86_SVGA no such file

then the boot of the X window server fails.

could someone point me in the right direction?
I'm guessing I need to install the svga server? because I didn't previously?
but as I said, I'm no genius...

regards
conrad d. seaman