Re: 2.2.16? [INSTALL REPORT]
- To: Randolph Chung <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: 2.2.16? [INSTALL REPORT]
- From: Erik Andersen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:56:53 -0600
- Message-id: <20000703105653.B548@codepoet.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Randolph Chung <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20000702115920.U751@tausq.org>; from email@example.com on Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 11:59:20AM -0700
- References: <20000701193218.Q751@tausq.org> <20000702115920.U751@tausq.org>
On Sun Jul 02, 2000 at 11:59:20AM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> ok, some good news and some good news ...
> > I am rather concerned about the modprobe reports posted to the list earlier.
> > [ the gist of it is this message, on startup: ]
> > modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
> i was unable to pin this down, but it is indeed quite harmless if a bit
> annoying to the end user. This happens BEFORE init is run. I think Matt's
> explanation of unix.o is close (you do not get this message if you are using
> the idepci/compact flavors, which have unix.o built in). However, as this
> happens before init is run it probably doesn't have anything to do with
> One question for Erik, i tried adding some read and sleep statements in
> /etc/init.d/rcS, and it seems like they don't get run or don't work or
> something. Maybe you can explain this?
Hmm. Everything in /etc/init.d/rcS should be getting run, though it may not
have a usable console provided to it. Checking... Yup, it looks like rcS is
run without a usable console. In scripts/rootdisk/prototype/etc/inittab, rcS
is run with stdin/stdout/stderr all created via dup2 from /dev/null, so you
wouldn't expect to see much.
If you want to debug this thing, you will want to change
scripts/rootdisk/prototype/etc/inittab to have something
like the following:
# main rc script
> So I'd say 2.2.16 for i386 is definitely ready for upload, and probably
> ready for potato release.
> congrats all!
Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
--This message was written using 73% post-consumer electrons--