Re: 2.2.16?

On Sun Jul 02, 2000 at 03:22:43AM -0700, Matt Kraai wrote:

> Here is what I think is happening.  The kernel boots init (aka busybox).
> One of the first things that init does is call console_init, which in
> turn calls message to log the console it found.  Since we have compiled
> busybox to be syslogd as well, it decides to use the syslog facility to
> log the message.  This, I believe, causes the kernel (i.e., kmod) to try
> and insert unix.o, which then fails due to some problem in /lib/modules.
> Since all this happens before rcS is ever run, it doesn't have a chance
> to disable kmod before the messages appear.
>
> I believe that the use of syslog causes modules to be loaded based on
> the following information from linux/Documentation/Configure.help:

I think this is a pretty reasonable explanation.  Which means that there
is really no good way to solve it.  Possible bad solutions include:

    1) compile unix.o into the kernel
    2) Made a quick kernel patch to change the default value of modprobe_path
	in linux/kernel/kmod.c
    3) Make busybox init mount /proc and poke at /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
	before it calls console_init.
    4) Not worry about it.

 -Erik

--