Re: Boot Problem

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 03:27:53PM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Jim> On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 04:45:03PM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>     >> >>>>> "Brit" == Brit Rothrock <4768905@mylinepcx.com> writes:
>     >>
>     Brit> When the system boots, the Linux opening screen appears - when we begin
>     Brit> the installation, as soon as the load process begins,  we see "Lo" (a
>     Brit> quick flash, so I'm not sure) and the system immediately re-boots.
>     >>
>     >> This sounds like what would happen on my laptop when I did not use
>     >> the "Tecra" kernel last release.  It was something to do with
>     >> `bzImage' vs `zImage' kernels, right?  I thought we'd fixed that by
>     >> using the "Tecra" version for everything now?
>     >>
>     >> ... Or perhaps the `safe' flavor will cure it?  I've got to hand this
>     >> one off.  Any ideas?
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> --
>     >> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-boot-request@lists.debian.org
>     >>
>     >>

>     Jim> The "safe" flavor does the same thing.
>
>  Darn.  Can you please try two `slink' boot floppies?  First, the
>  standard one, then the `tecra' flavor, and tell us what happens.

Let me restate the problem for my friend Brit who is not very Linux savy.

SYSLINUX comes up fine to the boot prompt, then when you hit enter it
prints "Loading root.bin ..." and then the machine reboots.  This happens
with both slink and potato boot floppies, and with both standard, compact,
and safe versions.

--
jcz@ziplink.net (Jim Ziegler)