Re: Boot Problem

    Brit> When the system boots, the Linux opening screen appears - when we begin
    Brit> the installation, as soon as the load process begins,  we see "Lo" (a
    Brit> quick flash, so I'm not sure) and the system immediately re-boots.
    >>>
    >>> This sounds like what would happen on my laptop when I did not use
    >>> the "Tecra" kernel last release.  It was something to do with
    >>> `bzImage' vs `zImage' kernels, right?  I thought we'd fixed that by
    >>> using the "Tecra" version for everything now?
    >>>
    >>> ... Or perhaps the `safe' flavor will cure it?  I've got to hand this
    >>> one off.  Any ideas?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>>

    Jim> The "safe" flavor does the same thing.

    Karl>  Darn.  Can you please try two `slink' boot floppies?  First, the
    Karl>  standard one, then the `tecra' flavor, and tell us what happens.

 Nix that.  You're seeing it when Lilo is trying to boot the kernel.

 From the /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz:

LILO start message
- - - - - - - - -

When LILO loads itself, it displays the word "LILO". Each letter is printed
before or after performing some specific action. If LILO fails at some
point, the letters printed so far can be used to identify the problem. This
is described in more detail in the technical overview.

Note that some hex digits may be inserted after the first "L" if a
transient disk problem occurs. Unless LILO stops at that point, generating
an endless stream of error codes, such hex digits do not indicate a severe
problem.

  (<nothing>)  No part of LILO has been loaded. LILO either isn't installed
    or the partition on which its boot sector is located isn't active.
   L <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been loaded and started,
    but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error
    codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk error
    codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry
    mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk geometry").
   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.
   LIL   The second stage boot loader has been started, but it can't load
    the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by a
    media failure or by a geometry mismatch.
   LIL?   The second stage boot loader has been loaded at an incorrect
    address. This is typically caused by a subtle geometry mismatch or by
    moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.
   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.
   LILO   All parts of LILO have been successfully loaded.