Re: debian boot floppies almost ready ...

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 03:18:59AM +0200, Eirik Nicolai Synnes wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 12:47:27PM +0200, Eirik Nicolai Synnes wrote:
> >> (from the sunsite list)

> >> amiga-fdisk complained about "unknown partition 0" (I can't remember the
> >> exact error message, but it kept nagging about partition 0) when I tried
> >> to do modifications. Eventually I had to use HDToolBox.
>
> > Well, we need to follow this, i think there is a bug in amiga-fdisk-bf
> > package. are you able to launch amiga-fdisk after you finished installing
> > the system ?
>
> Yes. I've tested amiga-fdisk and amiga-fdisk-bf again now. amiga-fdisk
> allowed me to delete and create partitions, while amiga-fdisk-bf did not.
> Looks like -bf has trouble parsing keyboard input; readline trouble? I had
> a quick look at the sources, but it seems I need to familiarize myself with
> the packaging system first...

Well, ...

amiga-fdisk-bf don't use readline, but a hacky scanf workaround. I think this
is the culprit, but i don't have time to check it right now, please someone
have a look at it (should not need more than the very basic C knowledge i
think).

Here is what i did :

#ifdef DONT_USE_READLINE
char *readline (const char *prompt)
{
       char buffer[1024];
       char *s;
       int size;
       printf ("%s",prompt);
       fflush (stdout);
       fgets (buffer, sizeof(buffer), stdin);
       size = strlen (buffer);
       s = malloc ((size+1)*sizeof(char));
       s = strcpy (s, buffer);
       fflush (stdin);
       return s;
}
#else
#include <readline/readline.h>
#include <readline/history.h>
#endif

(note : the boot floppy version of amiga-fdisk cannot be linked against
libreadline because of space considerations.)

to package/unpackage it :

get the following files :

  amiga-fdisk-bf_0.04-3.diff.gz
  amiga-fdisk-bf_0.04-3.dsc
  amiga-fdisk-bf_0.04.orig.tar.gz

then type :

  dpkg-source -x amiga-fdisk-bf_0.04-3.dsc

then :

  cd amiga-fdisk-bf-0.04

then you can modify the fdisk.c file and rebuild amiga-fdisk with :

  make USE8READLINE=no

and test it.

> Another thing, amiga-fdisk segfaulted while toggling the mount flag, while
> -fb ignored the change.

This has been fixed by Christian T. Steigie, just have to wait until his
change hit the archives, ... (should already be found at :

ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/source/base/amiga-fdisk-bf_0.04-3.*

at least in source form, should also be there as in binary i think, ...)

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER