Re: debian boot floppies almost ready ...

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 12:47:27PM +0200, Eirik Nicolai Synnes wrote:
> (from the sunsite list)
>
> Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello, ...
>
> > for all people interrested :
>
> > I have managed to reinstall my apus box with the current debian boot
> > floppies
> > (http://ftp.debian.org/debain/dists/potato/main/disks-powerpc/current/).
>
> Did the same here, but with the 2000-05-18 kernel as I have a CV64. (note
> that it is built with Hydra and A2065 support as modules, so it can't be
> used for a network install with these cards. Fortunately my outside link
> is an Ariadne)

Well, the debian disks are as i built them, normally you should be able to
install all modules before enabling the network, and then pulling the base
tarball (16MB or so) over the network.

Note also, that any kernel you have that is working for you will do just fine,
so long as it has loop device in the kernel and not as modules.

> > I still have problems with amiga-fdisk, but i think it is due to some
> > problem on my harddisk, not a generic problem (it used to work ok before)
> > but you just have to partition the harddisk under amigaos, and it works
> > ok.
>
> amiga-fdisk complained about "unknown partition 0" (I can't remember the
> exact error message, but it kept nagging about partition 0) when I tried to
> do modifications. Eventually I had to use HDToolBox.

Well, we need to follow this, i think there is a bug in amiga-fdisk-bf
package. are you able to launch amiga-fdisk after you finished installing the
system ?

> I also got the loop device errors you have mentioned earlier. Installing
> over network (w/DHCP) went more or less fine. After selecting simple
> installation and choosing packages it updated the package lists and then
> gave a "dpkg: unexpected data after package and select at line 1" error and
> left me at the login prompt. Oddly enough everything has worked fine
> nonetheless. After poking around and installing a few packages to see if it
> worked I did an 'apt-get upgrade' to upgrade the base packages and 'apt-get
> dselect-upgrade' to install the packages I selected during the install.

Will follow up this message to the debian-boot mailing list.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER