Re: "simple" install of gnome desktop doesn't get me an X server.

> I don't know if this is a problem with the boot floppies per se; it
> might be elsewhere.  I'm afraid that the problem will not get fixed if
> I don't file a bug, but I don't know which package to file the bug
> against.

base-config for now.

> Anyway: I installed potato from the latest boot floppies (which I
> build from the CVS sources, which I update every day).  I chose to do
> a "simple" install (as opposed to "advanced"), and chose the gnome
> desktop and gnome apps.  The installation proceeded smoothly, but I
> noticed that I was never asked to configure an X server.

base-config needs to call anXious. the anXious interface recently changed
and joeyh hasn't updated base-config for it yet. Once this gets fixed the
rest of it should work.

> I didn't know what to do, so I fired up dselect in order to install
> the server by hand.  And once I told dselect to start the
> installation, I was surprised to see lots of packages get installed
> that I hadn't (knowingly) selected.  I think this is the same problem
> that I complained about at the end of February: `installation of
> `standard' packages comes as a surprise'
> (http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-boot-0002/msg00955.html).

It only installs required packages, since they are REQUIRED. :-)

> Once all those extra packages got installed, things worked better
> ... but I still didn't have a window manager!  This appears to be a
> separate problem; Martin, should I open a bug about this?

this is related to anxious above. please wait for 2.2.13.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>
http://www.TauSq.org/