Re: `boot-floppies' documentation naming conventions?

>Where is the install doc source for slink? I'd like
>to get rid of as many of the broken links in it as
>possible. If the install docs aren't going to be
>updated ever again, I could simply make the changes
>in the current .html.

Don't do that.  Oh, Ick.

Use the included CVS instructions.  Use the slink branch of CVS.

>In looking through the doc source for potato, I notice that
>www-debian-org can be replaced in each language by their choice of site.
>This is not a good idea since it assumes that people speaking that
>language have good connectivity to that site. For example, I know a
>lot of people in Quebec that would not like being pushed over to
>www.fr.debian.org simply because they chose French as the default
>language for their browser.

Seems like a decent heuristic to me.  Of course, nothing is certain.

>If it is necessary to use an absolute URL for the Debian site,

It is...  Users may have the documentation on a CD or from the web.
Links off the document onto the www.debian.org site must be absolute.

For potato, it's pretty easy to set some vars different for the
version which is destined for www.debian.org.

>either point to www.debian.org or list all the official mirrors.
>All links to documents that can be found locally should be relative.
>Once a user chooses a site, they should be able to stay on that site.

Uh...  As for listing the official mirrors, I'd rather not.  It would
be nice if there was a CGI where I could point to a special URL and it
would list all possible mirrors and give the user a cookie or
something so they use that in the future.  Like TUG or perl.org does.

But I can't count on such counter-factual scenarios.  I have to deal
with reality as it is.

I wouldn't put too much structural effort like this into slink but
rather focus on potato.