Re: m68k boot-floppies

> > At least. For your home machine, you can give yourself root or sudo
> > privileges all you like. For a remote machine, I'd be very cautious.
> > Part of the build doesn't require root access anyway. But that's a gripe
> > I have anyway with Debian builds: it's all or none, from make clean to
> > make binary. It would be tremendously helpful to have a separate hook from
> > dpkg-buildpackage to just package the whole stuff (starting with make
> > install) and another one to run without make clean, and stop short of make
> > install.
>
> There is.  Look at dpkg-buildpackage's -r option; only binary and clean
> are run with priviledge.  The boot floppies are an exception because of
> their more particular requirements.

I'm aware of the -r option. I've built Debian packages before :-) And this
doesn't help with the problem that the stock build method will start from
scratch each time, and that means 6+ hours of build on a reasonably fast
m68k for each run, just to run on the next silly compile or script error.
Anyway, that's just one of the gripes with boot-floppies from memory; I
last built the stuff before the slink release.

> > In a nutshell, this sucks.
>
> Yes, yes it does.  We're avoiding the problem, mostly.  We don't build
> a .sit archive; there is plenty of macbinary support for the files we
> need, and the rest are available as the .sit we want right off the
> author's (usually Ben H's) web site.  Etc.

Are the hfsutils loopback tricks to tweak Mac files in the stock makefile
now? That would help some to get the booter and preferences converted to a
format that survives Unix filesystem storage. The install.sit holding all
of the required stuff in one archive was a convenience measure to make the
install not too hard on Mac users. That can be dropped no problem once
somebody actually gets around to building the stuff.

	Michael