RE: Directory structure

[snip]

> Hmmm, when the docs are finished there should be links to all necessary
> files in the HTML install guide, in locations that make it obvious as to
> what is needed for a particular install method.

I was actually thinking of taking this out in my contemplated revision of
the docs.
1) At least when converted to pdf, the long file lists appear as very long
lines.  Either on paper or in Acrobat's reader online, they look terrible:
stuff is cut off or otherwise mangled.
2) Putting the lists in there makes the documentation extremely sensitive to
changes in the exact number of diskettes.

I don't think these factors are overwhelming.  Also 1) in principle should
be fixable.

And yes, I have read the fine install readme and the fine install manual
repeatedly, in many incarnations.  Though I think they are coming along
nicely, they simply don't provide enough information--a fact which most
members of the install team may overlook, because they already know that
information.  Further, it is preferable to have things which work without
needing much additional explanation.