Re: DC-390: Debian broke it!

I have posted "boot.msg" and "messages" from the SuSE 6.2 evaluation CD
system that I am running as I type this message. I reinstalled my DC-390
card before installing SuSE 6.2.

SuSE 6.2 uses a kernel with a newer Tekram DC-390 SCSI card driver than
Debian has had after boot floppies 2.1.9. The newer driver appears to
work, as shown by these posted files. The Debian version used after the
2.1.9 boot floppies does not work yet as of boot floppies 2.2.7.

http://mngovsci.com, Linux, scsi-DC-390, ...
(The mngovsci.com domain name is mine.)

I am downloading the SuSE 6.3 evaluation CD ISO image right now.
Will burn and try later.

However, I have booted the SuSE 6.3 bootdisk. The messages are similar to
the files I posted for SuSE 6.2, but the driver version is reported as:
"v2.0d23 1999/08/26". Yes, the "Pointer restored." messages appear as with
SuSE 6.2.

About the SuSE 6.2 install here. I returned that DC-390U2W card I had
purchased and got a brand new IBM 20 GB IDE hard drive instead. This
means:
1. the DC-390 card is my only SCSI card again
2. the three install partitions are all on the IDE drive
3. but everything else is on the SCSI card still, including two CD
drives and three SCSI hard drives.

The messages file coverage includes a period of writing a CD-R with a 311
MB ISO image, then verifying it with diff from both CD drives at least
three times total.  No errors at any time.

After that I mounted some SCSI partitions read only and did some copies to
the IDE drive. The messages file shows there were a few read errors.

I do not have in depth technical hardware or software background, so the
above is about all I know. Never-the-less, if you can think of any more
information you need, please tell me what it is and how to obtain it.

Thanks.
Eddie Maddox
eddie@mngovsci.com