Re: DC-390: Debian broke it!

> > However, I have booted the SuSE 6.3 bootdisk. The messages are similar to
> > the files I posted for SuSE 6.2, but the driver version is reported as:
> > "v2.0d23 1999/08/26". Yes, the "Pointer restored." messages appear as with
> > SuSE 6.2.

> So far, everything is fine and works as expected.
>
> > After that I mounted some SCSI partitions read only and did some copies to
> > the IDE drive. The messages file shows there were a few read errors.
>
> Do you find any SCSI related messages around the errors in your syslog?
> What settings are you using. Please look at /proc/scsi/scsi and
> /proc/scsi/tmscsim/?.

I was wondering if you could submit the Tekram DC-390 patches to Alan in
time to make the kernel 2.2.15 release yet.

The idea was whether the patches would allow the '390 to boot, since
booting is broken for kernels >2.0.36 and Debian boot floppies issued
since then (in my experience).

It has been established to my satisfaction that the driver in SuSE 6.2
eval CD and the 6.3 boot floppies _do_ boot the '390 just fine.

Also the Mandrake "AM53/79C974 PCscsi driver rev. 0.5" works fine in both
Mandrake 6.1 and, now, 7.0. Maybe Alan would know how "rev. 0.5" maps into
your patch series for the '390.

History:

1. Early Debian 2.1, boot floppies 2.1.9, with kernel 2.0.36:  I ran this
for several months spring '99 - fall '99. No '390 problems.

2. Your '390 web page shows a major driver change in kernels > 2.0.36.

3. Debian boot floppies 2.1.12. at least, and all after through 2.2.7, at
least, fail to boot for me. This means their 2.2beta may get released soon
with booting broken for '390s. (Contact Joey Hess for his plans concerning
the '390 situation.)

4. Mandrake 6.1, RH 6.1 based: I ran this for several months since last
fall. No '390 problems.

5. Mandrake 7.0: am running this as I type this message. No '390 problems.

6. SuSE 6.2 eval CD, from CheapBytes: Have run this for a couple weeks
here lately. No '390 boot problems.

7. SuSE 6.3 boot floppy: boots fine.

8. SuSE 6.3 eval CD (downloaded iso and wrote to CD-R): boots fine, but
hangs in "Lang. Keyboard, Timezone" after selecting all English and
CST6CDT, then pressing Apply, then Next. Nothing. Ctrl-Alt-Del don't work.

Have you seen the latest SuSE 6.2 /proc/scsi/* I've posted to
mngovsci.com?

Cautions: I am not a developer. I have not the means to do rigorous
testing and evaluations. I only know what I've told you. I would not want
people relying on my efforts for any sort of assurance of suitability for
"mission critical" use. (Lawyers, I hope you understand all this.)

Nevertheless, it would be nice for kernel 2.2.15 to support the Tekram
DC-390, so Debian 2.2 won't be broken.

Thank you.
Eddie Maddox
eddie@mngovsci.com