Re: bootconfig

    Mark> On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 11:39:27PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
    >>> Please make a set of floppies using a build from the branch and test them.

    Mark> Ok, I've finally downloaded/rsync-ed all I need (*phew*) and successfully
    Mark> built a floppies set.  Now to find an expendable system ...

    Mark> I had to do the following to make select_not_mounted.c compile:

    Mark> 158c158
    Mark> <       p=fdisk_add_partition(nfsmountpath,-1,PTYPE_NFS,0);
    Mark> ---
    >>> p=fdisk_add_partition(nfsmountpath,-1,PTYPE_NFS,0,0,0);

    Karl>  Make sure you are using the HEAD branch of libfdisk!  I threw out the
    Karl>  branch there.  I decided that I don't know enough about it to use the
    Karl>  code that I wrote for keeping track of partition beginning and end
    Karl>  cylinder.  I've been building `dbootstrap' against `libfdisk' on the
    Karl>  trunk, NOT the branch.

    Karl>  cd libfdisk && cvs update -r HEAD

 I'm thinking of spending a little time reading and then resurrecting
 that branch of libfdisk agian.  Not sure yet.  What do yous think?

 I tossed it when the numbers it was returning for my 20Gb drive
 showed cylinder numbers all below 1024.  I thought that was wrong,
 but in light of some new knowledge I've gained, I think the numbers
 are correct.

 Briefly, what I was trying to do is have the fdisk partition
 structure (the one used via dbootstrap) store the start and end
 cylinder of each partition.  That simply involved translating the
 fields from the disk partition table struct and stowing them in new
 slots in the fdisk partition struct.  Then, in `dbootstrap'
 mount_partititon, after the `/' partition has been mounted, if the
 about to be mounted partition is entirely below cyl 1024, it will
 offer "/boot" as the mountpoint.  It does that now, in the branch,
 but does NOT check the partition's cylinder numbers.

 I'm concerned that even when the cylinder numbers are reported as
 below 1023, that disks larger than 8Mb or so may still have BIOS
 inaccessible partitions above the 8Mb range.  Anyone know much about
 this?  I need to read more.