Re: bootconfig

    Mark> Well, apologies first for complaining about poor communication and then
    Mark> disappearing for a week. :-/  Mother and child doing well, thank you.
    Mark> Well, I'm back now and trying to pick up the pieces where I left off.

 Congratulations.

    Mark> I've just checked in a simple fix for libfdisk/fdisk.c which initialises
    Mark> the fields in the fdisk_partition struct that were causing the problems
    Mark> testing Root->disk in bootconfig.c.  Karl, I think, had also traced
    Mark> this back to add_partition().  This change should be totally benign,
    Mark> so I've included it in the main trunk.

 Ok; I looked; using `sizeof' on a char * "string" isn't right, is it?
 I think you have to use strlen then, or you'll get the size of a char
 *, not the length of the string.  I've changed it to strlen in the
 branch already.

    Mark> Karl, I've been perusing your changes on the br_exp_karlheg_markv branch
    Mark> and think some of them should definitely be merged into the main branch
    Mark> fairly soon.  In particular, I want to build upon some of your work in
    Mark> make_bootable() and I think it a problem to have the branch so different
    Mark> from the main trunk.  Please let me know your thinking and intentions
    Mark> in this area.

 I've joined the changes to the trunk since the last time and
 committed them to the branch, using:

 cvs update -j exp_karlheg_markv_last_joinpoint -j HEAD

 ... Then moved the placemarker tag forward along with the join.  That
 has been committed on the branch, so you can just update to get them.

    Mark> I've included a bit from my old bootconfig.c.  This is too different to
    Mark> anything recent to make a meaningful patch, and won't work without a lot
    Mark> of adjustment, so please don't use it!  I include it only to indicate my
    Mark> previous direction and someone asked to see it (sorry, forget who).

 Ok, I'll take a look at it.  Please pull out a copy of the branch of
 `dbootstrap' I've created, and have a look at what I did with that.
 I am about to test install for the third try today...  Before doing
 the join, it would crash somewhere during the "Make Bootable" stage.

 Hmm.  I'd better update libfdisk also.  Darn, that means another
 `make build' to wait through too.