on ZIP disk install problem

The 1st significant problem I've encountered after many successful
(Much THANKS) boot-floppies installs is herein related.
The machine is a high quality PC with floppy and internal   ATAPI  ZIP
drive.
I wanted the on ZIP install, since the Company is only allowing
Microsoft et al. on the hard drive
Possibly this is a machine specific problem, but I don't have another
"volunteer "  PC to check on.

The current Stable disks were used, FTPed in from  ftp.debian.org this
AM
On a different Debian machine,  I had already FDISKed  the ZIP disk into
872+128  kb ext2 partitions
The resc1440 generated disk booted fine and
the ZIP was properly perceived as /dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdc2
But  the install Script hung at the SWAP initiallization step.

Next boot, DO WITHOUT SWAP let me proceed
/dev/hdc1 was mounted  on  /target
Then  I was able to go back and Initialize Swap on /dev/hdc2
But the menu then  called   Make Boot floppy/ install Lilo/Reboot
options

The Make Floppy failed  because the BASE INSTALL hadn't been done
So without the menu  Script calling for them,  I choose the consecutive
necessary  menu steps.
The Config Modules brought up ONLY the Modules Config Exit   choice
But  the Make Boot Disk was now successfull

Booting worked and the Script went through to bringing  DSELECT up
Follow through was standard.

For  reasons also obscure, a boot starting through WIN95 on /dev/hda1
with CONFIG.SYS  calling
INSTALL=LOADIN.EXE  VMLINUZ2.038  /dev/hdc1 vga=3 ro

with  VMLINUZ2.038   copied over from  /boot/vmlinus-2.0.38
failed with complaints about disk ZIP structure
But the SYSLINUX  boot disk raises Debian on /dev/hdc1  just fine.

I suggest you try an install on a local ATAPI ZIP.
If you can't confirm my problem
let me know and I'll try to document it more precisely.

MarvS