Re: on ZIP disk install problem

Below are notes relating problems during an install using the current
" Welcome to 0bDebian GNU/Linux 2.2!   "
Problems encounted are labeled  P0, PI, P2 etc.

PC is a COMPAQ Armada 1500c with 4 Gig drive, ATAPI floppy and ATAPI CDROM
 from dmesg:
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1020-0x1027, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
hda: TOSHIBA MK4309MAT, ATA DISK drive
hdb: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1902B, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: TOSHIBA MK4309MAT, 4108MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=556/240/63
hdb: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

RECOMMENDATION: with laptops having ATAPI floppies becoming increasing
popular
   a modification of the Make BootDisk script is necessary.  See below:

========
Used FIPS to truncate the initally single single Win95 partition to:
# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 556 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       175   1322968+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda2           176       556   2880360    f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5           176       271    725728+   6
FAT16                                       ; for common data
/dev/hda6           332       400    521608+  83
Linux                                        ;  for  /
/dev/hda7           401       539   1050808+  83
Linux                                       ; for /usr
/dev/hda8           540       556    128488+  82  Linux swap

===========

P0)  Under Win95 on this laptop
     rawrit2 was not successful
 dd if=resc1440.bin on=/dev/fd0 ; sync
    was successful both on my desktop with LS120 drive
        dd if=resc1440.bin on=/dev/hdc ; sync
    and on this laptop after Linux installation
        dd if=resc1440.bin on=/dev/fd0 ; sync

beginning with Boot+root floppies, installation was OK until

P1) menu Make Bootdisk  call hung the script
2nd console was OK and I rebooted

make  bootdisk worked after 2nd boot with boot+root:
# ls /floppy
ldlinux.sys
linux
syslinux.cfg

Rebooted

But since floppy is ATAPI and ide-floppy support is not in linux kernel on
the new boot floppy
reboot was Painfully slow.
RECOMMENDATION: The make boot script should give a warning with intent:
 "If this is a laptop, your floppy disk is quite possible of the
ATAPI type.
If so this Boot Floppy may not function or only boot very slowly
because  ide-floppy support is not included in the kernel "linux" on the
floppy.
Alternatives:
1) Use the original boot disk with command line:
       rescue root=/dev/hdaN
with N the number of your root partition.
2) Install lilo for reboot
3) Copy loadlin.exe and the installed kernel to a Win95/98
      c:\debian   directory
and make modify a c:\config.sys to contain:

=========
[MENU]
MENUITEM=WIN95, Win95
MENUITEM=LINUX, Linux 2.2.14 /dev/hdaN

[LINUX]
INSTALL=C:\DEBIAN\LOADLIN.EXE   C:\DEBIAN\VMLINUZ2.214  ROOT=/dev/hdaN RO
VGA=3
; with vmlinuz2.214  copied from  /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14
; with N the Linux root partition number

[WIN95]

============

On the 3rd boot, the menu came up but:

P3) the letter keys under the menu were not functional
Only TAB worked
Ctl-C restarted the menu, but with the same problem

The  2nd and 3rd consoles were OK for keyboard function.  Thereon

had to
P3) ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom

Then OK function for
    apt-cdrom add
Installed  the  joe editor and  gpm from  a cdrom

had to
P4) ln -s /dev/psaux   /dev/mouse
Note: apt-get install gpm
     DID NOT report availability of gpmconfig
     I consider this a Bug

apt-get install mc  (Midnight Commander)

Rebooting to try the menu again.

Rebooted with  rescue root=/dev/hda6
Noticed during reboot an:
                        rcS.d "Permission Denied" concerning Keymaps

P5) still no letter key function under menu
opened 2nd condole, ran
    /etc/init.d/keymaps.sh
!!! Restored the keyboard under the Menu

On an earlier install trial I got as far as the "Apt Configuration Menu"

P6) Under the cdrom option, the script failed at "name the CDROM"
though I could recycle. Running
    apt-cdrom add
from the 2nd console bypassed this problem  in I could skip the
specification of a 2nd repository.

Got to dselect

END OF REPORT.
Let me know if I can provide further info or run another trial when the
scripts are improved

Marv Stodolsky  stodolsk@erols.com
301-540-3659 home
301-903-4475 worknd Initialize Swap on /dev/hdc2