2.2.5 compact - Ping segfault, mount error.

 I chose to try and install the kernel and drivers using a netfetch,
 since the driver for the net card in vmware is compiled into this
 version.  Everything worked great; `dbootstrap' is sitting at the
 screen where you enter the URL to fetch from.  (And I know enough to
 put the lully URL into the box...)

 I switched to vt2 to see if `ifconfig' would confirm the success of
 the network configuration stage.  It did, so I typed `ping
 lully.debian.org', and got an immediate segmentation fault.  I then
 set `ulimit -c unlimited' and tried it again, this time I got a core
 file.  I went to mount a floppy to copy the core and `ping' to so I
 can run `gdb' once to try and figure out where it crashed...

 ... and mount printed:

   ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: Invalid argument

 ... but succeeded in mounting the floppy despite the error.

 Here's what gdb is showing me about the `ping' crash:

root@bittersweet:/usr/local/src/cvs.debian.org
# gdb ./ping core
GNU gdb 19990928
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols found)...

warning: exec file is newer than core file.
Core was generated by `ping lully.debian.org'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
#0  0x8055b43 in warn ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x8055b43 in warn ()
#1  0x1 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x2.
(gdb)

 `ping.c' does NOT call `warn' at all.  The only use of warn is in
 `libsfdisk' and `gzip'.  What's going on here?  A buffer overrun and
 it jumped off into random space and happened to land here?  How did
 we end up in `warn'???

 You tell me and we'll both know.  It will have to be debugged.