Re: syslogd still crapping out

On Mon Dec 13, 1999 at 05:33:14PM -0600, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:
>
> > hmm, how do you support multiple kernel revision then ?
> > Actually you can replace the kernel with another one (not necessarily of the
> > same revision) on the rescue disk assuming you also provide a drivers disk.
> > But if you hardcode unix.o in the root disk you also will need to provide new
> > root disk for an alternate kernel :(((
>
> Damn.  That's a damn good point.  I didn't think of that.
>
> What I was thinking of hacking up was
>
>   (a) if modules.tgz *does* contain unix.o, then plop it on the
>       rootdisk (of course, this scheme has the problems you mention,
>       making the root disk also tied to the kernel, which is ok, but
>       not a great idea)
>
>   (b) after booting, in /etc/init.d/rcS, if
>       /lib/modules/`uname  -r`/misc/unix.o exists, load it
>
> > Is there no chance to integrate unix module to the standard kernel ?
> > Or is there an alternative to unix socket for mini syslogd ?
>
> I dunno.  Herbert, any ideas?

How about this:

We could simply have a bootmods.tgz package on the boot disk that
contains any boot modules folks want loaded up on boot. When folks
drop in a new kernel, they also adjust the bootmods.tgz package. Then
we make sure bootmods.tgz has a README file in it that says to be sure
to include unix.o, and adjust the included /etc/modules.sh, which is a
script run on boot with lines like 'insmod unix'

On boot, /etc/init.d/rcS extracts bootmods.tgz from the floppy, and then
/etc/init.d/rcS runs /etc/modules.sh

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/