Re: syslogd still crapping out

Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:

> hmm, how do you support multiple kernel revision then ?
> Actually you can replace the kernel with another one (not necessarily of the
> same revision) on the rescue disk assuming you also provide a drivers disk.
> But if you hardcode unix.o in the root disk you also will need to provide new
> root disk for an alternate kernel :(((

Damn.  That's a damn good point.  I didn't think of that.

What I was thinking of hacking up was

  (a) if modules.tgz *does* contain unix.o, then plop it on the
      rootdisk (of course, this scheme has the problems you mention,
      making the root disk also tied to the kernel, which is ok, but
      not a great idea)

  (b) after booting, in /etc/init.d/rcS, if
      /lib/modules/`uname  -r`/misc/unix.o exists, load it

> Is there no chance to integrate unix module to the standard kernel ?
> Or is there an alternative to unix socket for mini syslogd ?

I dunno.  Herbert, any ideas?