Re: lilo splash screen patch

On Mon Dec 06, 1999 at 02:46:25PM -0500, Robin Burgener wrote:
> I had a look at the page you are referring to; that is not the Corel
> Lilo patch.  When I get a chance, I will be packaging my patches.
>
> I'm not exectly sure what the page you found will do, it appears that it
> will display a 320x200 image and then do the standard Lilo stuff.  The
> Corel Linux patch to Lilo provides a selection menu and uses cursor keys
> to select the boot image.
>
> There are several good reasons for 320x200x256...
>  - the boot-loader runs in real mode, 320*200 = 64000 ( <64K )
>  - byte per pixel makes drawing easier, speed is not a concern, my mini
> graphics driver is about 1500 bytes of code (draw char, draw box, tint
> area, decompress screen, save/restore screen, set palette...)
>
> Given a choice between 320x200x256 and 640x480x16, what would you
> choose?
>
> P.S.  My 16 colour mini graphics driver is twice the size and does not
> include tint area

Sounds very cool.  So were do we find the Corel graphical
lilo patches?  How are the image locations given to lilo?
What format images does it accept.

I hope it doesn't do what the Caldera OpenLinux graphical
lilo patch does, where it overloads the "message" file to
be an executable with a PCX image embedded in it.  The message
executable is the one that seems to know about how to draw
itself to the screen.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/