Re: dbootstrap: system and err msgs

> The fact that you don't intend to use stderr in your bootfloppy
> doesn't seem to me a good reason to change error handling in that
> way, as you will prevent anyone using busybox and any of its
> commands for other purpose than the debian installation.

You are under a complete misapprehension.  I am not talking about
hacking the commands themselves to do evil things.  I am just talking
about, for commands run (via system) *within* dbootstrap, having a
wrapper function such that when we *do* 'system' subcommands, that the
stdout or even stderr doesn't scribble all over the dbootstrap
screens.

This would in no manner affect the std operation of the busybox etc
commands themselves.  This is completely an issue internal to
dbootstrap.

Does that clarify matters?

>> We'll still need a generic function that runs system, redirecting
>> stderr to syslog...

> I don't understand why complicate things when there is an easier an
> standard way to do the same.

No, dude.  Hacking every command to use a REDIRECT_STDERR env var is
*much* more complex then simply having a little function which does
the proper conditioning of stderr prior to system'ing the command in
question.