Re: Inode wastage [was: dac960 devices on boot-floppies]

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 11:40:12AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> I don't understand what this buys us. The /dev entries currently reside on
> root.bin, which is a compressed ramdisk image.
Why not simply put a small script on the ramdisk and create /dev entries
after booting. This way the inodes don't take space on the compressed
root.ini, they only take inodes in the ramdisk at runtime, and this could be
big enough. There may be lowmem problems, but I don't think lowmem machines
will have need for a lot of device nodes anyway.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source