Re: Impending freeze and boot-floppies

On Sat Nov 06, 1999 at 03:15:33PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Matt Porter <mmporter@home.com> writes:
>
> > I'm concerned since I'm spending all my boot-floppies time fixing
> > issues related to the new busybox and leaving the two new feature
> > items (task installer and ftp/http install) alone for the moment.  I
> > find it difficult to work on new features when that damn thing won't
> > even run like it did when we released 2.2.1.
>
> In retrospect, we screwed ourselves with these busybox updates.  I
> didn't realize how much interdependancies we had between busybox and
> dbootstrap.  So this is directly my fault.  I'm sorry.  (BTW, I was
> working on the assumption that the release manager would consult our
> opinion on freeze, but...).
>
> Matt, please advise -- should we back out busybox changes or forge
> ahead?  I don't know how much further off we are from having a working
> core system with busybox 0.33.

I know dbootstrap used to use a lot of busybox internals. As the person
most familiar with busybox internals, I would be happy to cvs checkout
dbootstrap from the day before I merged the new busybox, and then go
through dbootstrap and make it rely on the new busybox internals...
Presumably that would allevieate most of the headaches folks are having
right now (which will let me atone for my sins and make it so the new
busybox isn't the culprit if things slip).

I expect that I could do such a hack pretty quickly, which should put
dbootstrap back into whatever order it was in before I messed it up, and
then I could merge in whatever new stuff went in after that...

I have to admit that I have never compiled dbootstrap. The boot floppies
seem to require an almost complete local mirror of debian (I spent an
hour or two trying to hand pick packages from the archive, and then gave
up)... I guess I'll start mirroring now so hopefully when I get back
from a date with my wife tonight I'll have enough of a mirror to make
things go. Lets see, at about 32 kB/s over my DSL line...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org