Re: Updates to ash and busybox

Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > you how many times I've wish chroot was on the recue disk... You know,
> > chroot could even be used for a reboot-free install -- just chroot to
> > the newly installed partition...
>
> Amazing convergance!  We were recently talking about having init have
> the ability to exec/chroot?  If we had this, we could conceivably have
> a "bootless installation" -- once you've installed the base system,
> you could just chroot your init over to the target system, and keep
> chugging...

This sounds like a good idea in principle, but it leads to a nasty problem.
If you do this, you might use the newly installed system for days,
configuring it, puttling lots of effort into it, and getting attached to it.

And then you eventually reboot. And discover the install actually failed
somehow and you can't boot of the hard disk at all. When I was looking at
the Caldera install (which does this), I ran into this exact problem, and
it's the kind of thing that would give a user (especially a new user who
doesn't know how to correct it) a _very_ bad impression of debian.

It's great as an option. It's horrid as a default.

--
see shy jo