Re: initrd loading of boot-modules

Rene Mayrhofer <rene.mayrhofer@vianova.at> writes:

> I am currently working on a extension to the debian kernel-package that
> will allow modules needed for mounting the root partition to be loaded
> from an initrd image.[...]
> I would like to hear what you think about this. My company is producing
> a debian-based firewall (which will be released under the gpl)
> distribution and I will definitely use the initrd images for booting it.

I think its an excellent idea.  Remember also the following scenarios:

   - PCMCIA network booting
   - someone mentioned PCMCIA floppy booting
   - booting from SCSI cdrom (all modules)
   - booting from more exotic media, such as PLIP, DVD, etc.

As far as I know, the only things where initrd helps it for mounting
*root*.  For things required to *boot* (and from which one may load
initrd) obviously it can't be modularized.

> I do not want to recompiled kernel for scsi controller support (most
> firewall have scsi)

Well, I think you're under a misapprehsion if you think that anyone
requiring SCSI support needs to build their own kernel.  That is not
the case at all.

I don't think we'll be ready in potato for this, more's the pity.  But
I definately think it's a great idea.