Re: [RFD] install criticisms

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:
>      * I realize I should probably set up email, so I quickly setup
>        fetchmail and have it run. Problem: fetchmail fetches and hands it
>        off the the local mail system, but it doesn't deliver. I recall
>        seeing some discussion of this problem on the Debian-user list, so
>        I fire up lynx and check the archives for "exim fetchmail" and
>        discover I need to have localhost inserted in the appropriate part
>        of exim.conf. Once inserted, mail starts being delivered.
>
> Can we please put an updated exim into stable that fixes this for r3 or
> the "updated" slink release joeyh was talking about?  This is really
> almost always wanted anyway and is certainly a sensible default.

I agree with this one...

> We're also discussing an update of slink for several of the core packages
> that need it (kernels and X included) for people in your boat to minimize
> at least some of that needed background information.  Perhaps the install
> instructions should include things like where to go for help and how to
> get there?

It does.  Patches accepted.  I'm always willing to update the slink
installation documentation.

> All right people, you've read the complaints and my opinions of them.
> What say you, the rest of the developers?  Is at least some of this
> fixable in the slink update should that happen?

Only exim and some documentation updates, IMHO, should be considered
for slink update.  Of course, and stuff from proposed-updates which
will help a lot (makedev, kernel-image-2.0.36).

> How about potato?  What has to wait till after potato?

I don't think unattended installation is realistic for a november
freeze, personally.  I don't think the rest is that big of a deal
though...