Re: bootable, rootable, base, and the rest

Aaron Van Couwenberghe <vanco@sonic.net> writes:
> Currently, on some systems that have certain cards installed, the Adaptec
> 7xxx drivers don't work when they are integrated directly with the kernel.
> To circumvent this problem, an initrd needs to load the modules before the
> final root filesystem is loaded.

I don't believe this is the correct diagnosis.  Last I heard, I think,
the less used WD40 card should be unloaded from the kernel and made
into a driver in order to fix the problems.  Herbert Xu mentioned he
was going to release a 2.0.36-4 which had this fix.

Is there any reason to suppose this course of action is incorrect?

>   Is this an issue anymore with 2.2 kernels?

Not sure.