Re: booting from a raid0 device.

On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 09:46:13AM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> Not really. We may load IDE or SCSI modules from the initrd, or from
> floppy. The approach I'm thinking about is something like the following
> (for i386, I haven't thought about other arches yet)
>
> "floppy-booted" installations
> 	one rescue disk with:
> 	 - "bare bones" kernel: no IDE, no SCSI, just floppy
> 	 - initrd with IDE
A kernel with IDE compiled in is much smaller (~10k) than a kernel without
IDE and a seperate module.

> 	(optional) one rescue disk with:
> 	 - "bare bones" kernel
> 	 - initrd with some drivers for some popular SCSI cards
same here.
If I understand you right, "initrd with some drivers" means an initial ram
disk with several driver modules in the filesystem on that ramdisk.

> "CD-ROM-booted" or "network-booted" installations:
Does network booted mean: with an EPROM on the card? In this case I agree,
they are the same type.

I would like to see a third kind: A rescue floppy with
- "bare bones kernel" in fact not even floppy needs to be included
  just the rescue disk filesystem.
- an initrd with as many network drivers as possible
Now a server on the network holding the rest may be accessed, once network
is set up.

We could leave out System V IPC for the bootdisks, saving a few KB, but we
need to install another kernel for the user's system then.

I'll try to build such a kernel (the 2.2.5 version) to see how big it will
become.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source