Re: booting from a raid0 device.

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:

[...]
   "floppy-booted" installations
	   one rescue disk with:
	    - "bare bones" kernel: no IDE, no SCSI, just floppy
	    - initrd with IDE
	   (optional) one rescue disk with:
	    - "bare bones" kernel
	    - initrd with some drivers for some popular SCSI cards
	   several drivers disks (not all users will have to install all the
	   disks, just those with modules that they need):
	    - (optional) IDE modules
	    - SCSI modules
	    - PCMCIA modules
	    - network modules
[...]

   I see a few cons (it's more complex than what we have now, user can't
   replace kernel and modules without changing the inird image, ...) but it
   looks like a good way to fix our space constraints, and IMO it scales better
   and it's easier to use than the "boot & root floppies" approach.
   Comments?

I like it overall.  Just one comment: why do we need "several" drivers
disks?  Can't everything fit onto just two drivers disks?  Put the
most common drivers on the first one, the less common ones on the
second.  Otherwise, I'd have to download and write out more disks,
i.e., one for SCSI card, one for network, one for framebuffer, one for
..., which seems wasteful.

Or am I really behind the times and a fully kernel takes up three or
more drivers disks?
--
"While the Melissa license is a bit unclear, Melissa aggressively
 encourages free distribution of its source code."