Re: framebuffer support

Hartmut Koptein <koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de> writes:

   > If you're not willing to put your code where your mouth is, where is
   > your right to flame me for not supporting your arch yet?

   Because of your big mouth that bogl is portable and it is working!

Being portable and being ported to your arch are *not* the same
thing.  Linux is a portable kernel, but it won't compile on a new arch
without new code being written.

   And: it doesn't! I told you all this in my first mail to you
   (~three months ago)!!  And what happens: all my warnings and hints
   have you ignored.

The first graphical boot snapshot was released a little over a month
ago.  That's not three months ago.

I have not ignored any of your mails.  I have not had time to act on
most of your advice, yes.  There is a big difference.

   for not supporting your arch yet -> so it isn't portable yet!!!

``Linux doesn't support FooBar arch yet -> so it isn't portable yet!!!''
You're being illogical.

   It isn't generic - yet!

Yes it is.

   You are a debian maintainer, you can get an account on every debian machine
   to work on it.

And then how do I test it?  I can compile code for whatever
framebuffer I want right here, too, but that doesn't mean jack squat
unless I can test it.

   > On i386, that's all you need.  You do *not* need to boot into a Matrox
   > or Permedia driver to install Debian.  The vga16fb will work on all of
   > them.

   This is i386-centric. Not 'boot into', it is 'boot with it'.

What are you talking about?

   This is now m68k, sparc, arm and powerpc centric.

I am increasingly of the opinion that you have no idea what you're
talking about.  The kernel contains the following fbcon drivers:

	afb
	cfb2
	cfb4
	cfb8
	cfb16
	cfb24
	cfb32
	ilbm
	iplan2p2
	iplan2p4
	iplan2p8
	mac
	mfb (text only)
	vga-planes (with my patch)
	vga (text only)

Currently BOGL supports vga-planes and cfb8.  David Huggins-Daines is
working on cfb{2,4,8,16,24,32} support.  I might be able to test these
myself as well.

BUT I HAVE NO WAY TO TEST ANYTHING BUT THOSE.  I CAN'T TEST AFB OR
ILBM OR IPLAN2P{2,4,8} OR MAC.  If you need those, write them.

   > Yes.  Boot in 8-bit mode and the cfb8 driver will work.

   I will, but the graphical-dbootstrap doesn't compile.

Yes it does.  Turn off the vga16 support and turn on the cfb8
support in your copy, or better yet add per-arch compiling of the
various framebuffer drivers.  If powerpc doesn't need vga16 don't
compile it.

If it still won't compile then, either fix it or tell me what the
errors are.