Re: framebuffer support

Hartmut Koptein <koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de> writes:

   if i understand it correctly: you will use _only_ the vga16fb for
   the boot-floppies, right?? No other framebuffers!?

I've told you more than once that BOGL is meant to be generic.  Stop
trying to tell me that it's vga16-only.  You're giving me a bad name.

   If so, you should rework/rethink your bogl-lib. Or you change the
   use of isa_io_base into the PCI MMIO one.

BOGL doesn't use port access at all--only the vga16 driver does.  If
you have some other framebuffer device in mind, write a driver for it,
don't tell me that my code is wrong.  For instance, there is a cfb8
driver already, and David Huggins-Daines is writing a variable-depth
framebuffer driver.

You mentioned before something about mmap'ing the ISA ports into PCI
space.  I don't have time to deal with it right now--finals are coming
up right now and I've got big exams to deal with.  I also don't know
how to do it (I'd have to ask Geert), and you obviously do know, or
you wouldn't be complaining so strenuously.  SO DO IT ALREADY, and
stop telling me to do it.

   If this isn't possible the vga16fb should then be only another fb for
   use.

It *is*, goddammit.

   For example, powerpc has 3 or more framebuffers into the kernel (lacking
   support of modules).

Then implement support for then.  Stop telling people that BOGL isn't
portable.  It *is*.