Re: framebuffer support

Hartmut Koptein <koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de> writes:

   >    If so, you should rework/rethink your bogl-lib. Or you change the
   >    use of isa_io_base into the PCI MMIO one.
   >
   > BOGL doesn't use port access at all--only the vga16 driver does.  If
   > you have some other framebuffer device in mind, write a driver for it,
   > don't tell me that my code is wrong.  For instance, there is a cfb8
   > driver already, and David Huggins-Daines is writing a variable-depth
   > framebuffer driver.

   Thats not the point! The point is: it doesn't compile! All i see is a
   vga16-init(), but why when it doesn't work on all architectures??

Because I don't have all architectures!  Those of you with other
architectures must do some work, too.  I can't test it on your
powerpc or m68k machine.

   I know that you have not asked geert.

No, I haven't.  I don't have time to mess with it right now, I have
exams coming up.  I'm spending today studying, not hacking.

   And i told you the choices you have. I put not my hands on
   fb-device drivers, we have all sorts of it.

If you're not willing to put your code where your mouth is, where is
your right to flame me for not supporting your arch yet?

   > Then implement support for then.  Stop telling people that BOGL isn't
   > portable.  It *is*.

   Where?  It isn't generic, it isn't potable, it doesn't work!

Look at the code.  There are generic hooks for whatever device you
want to support.  So if you want support for a device, WRITE IT.

   If its gerneric it doesn't make any preferences on fbdev-devices. All i see
   is vga16fb.

On i386, that's all you need.  You do *not* need to boot into a Matrox
or Permedia driver to install Debian.  The vga16fb will work on all of
them.

   We have many framebuffers available, no need to implement them again.

Exactly.

   That's the reasons why i#m complaining so much on this topic. I don't say
   you're a bad programer! No!!! But i don't see the generic part!

Have you looked at cfb8?

   Can i start the graphical-dbootstrap on my FB_ATY or on FB_CONTROL,
   FB_PLATINUM, FB_VALKYRIE, FB_IMSTT, FB_CT65550, FB_S3TRIO or
   FB_MATROX?

Yes.  Boot in 8-bit mode and the cfb8 driver will work.

   Because vga16fb doesn't work or i have already to much in the kernel?

   So, come on, say again it is generic/portable or say bogl needs some work
   for this.

It is generic/portable.  If you don't see that, it's because you're
ignoring what's there.
--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."