Re: non-i386 arch mice?

Michael Schmitz <MSchmitz@lbl.gov> writes:

   Well, have you ever used a one-button mouse with X? I know people that
   can't
   even stand the chord-middle emulation you need to use for Atari mice.

   Having a serial mouse on a Mac is the only sane thing to do. However, a
   normal _Mac_ user won't ever figure out how to wire the proper adapter
   so the Mac is probably safe. Some Atari users do use serial mice though.
   I don't know too much about Amiga ...

Mmm, okay, I guess we'll burn that bridge when we cross it, to mix a
metaphor.

   > I don't really want to have to deal with multiple mice per machine.
   > Is it really that common to have a serial mouse on a machine with an
   > Amiga, Atari, or ADB mouse interface?

   I'd say it's most common on Atari. Another thing I forgot to ask: how much
   faster than the current interface is the graphical boot-floppies GUI going
   to be? 2.1 is an improvement compared with 1.3, but it's still damn slow
   on any 030 machine.

Why would it be any faster or slower than the non-graphical
boot-floppies?  It's based on the same back-end code, it's just the
interface code that's changing.  I don't have any non-i386 boxes so I
don't know about speed on them.  All I can say is that installing
Linux on an actual 386 is really slow too.