Re: non-i386 arch mice?

Ben Pfaff wrote:
>    Not so for m68k (haven't tried on Atari or Amiga, but definitely
>    not on Mac).  The kernel only detects the mouse interface and has
>    no way of knowing if there's a mouse attached.
>
> But there's only one possible port for a mouse, right?  You wouldn't
> have a serial mouse on a system with an ADB port, I hope?  At least,
> not a *normal* user--I can see some hardware hacker doing that.

Well, have you ever used a one-button mouse with X? I know people that
can't
even stand the chord-middle emulation you need to use for Atari mice.

Having a serial mouse on a Mac is the only sane thing to do. However, a
normal _Mac_ user won't ever figure out how to wire the proper adapter
so the Mac is probably safe. Some Atari users do use serial mice though.
I don't know too much about Amiga ...

> I don't really want to have to deal with multiple mice per machine.
> Is it really that common to have a serial mouse on a machine with an
> Amiga, Atari, or ADB mouse interface?

I'd say it's most common on Atari. Another thing I forgot to ask: how much
faster than the current interface is the graphical boot-floppies GUI going
to be? 2.1 is an improvement compared with 1.3, but it's still damn slow
on any 030 machine.

	Michael