Re: non-i386 arch mice?

Michael Schmitz <MSchmitz@lbl.gov> writes:

   <quote>
   Oh, *that* part is easy.  If you can open /dev/psaux then there is a
   ps/2 mouse.  The kernel takes care of the device detection for you.
   </quote>

   Not so for m68k (haven't tried on Atari or Amiga, but definitely
   not on Mac).  The kernel only detects the mouse interface and has
   no way of knowing if there's a mouse attached.

But there's only one possible port for a mouse, right?  You wouldn't
have a serial mouse on a system with an ADB port, I hope?  At least,
not a *normal* user--I can see some hardware hacker doing that.

   Anyway, it's pretty safe to assume that a Mac doesn't have an
   Amiga- or Atari mouse interface, and vice versa. And VMEbus
   machines don't have any mice.  So just read the first line from
   /proc/hardware to determine the subarch and go with that
   information for the busmouse device, and maybe probe the serial
   lines for serial mice.

I don't really want to have to deal with multiple mice per machine.
Is it really that common to have a serial mouse on a machine with an
Amiga, Atari, or ADB mouse interface?

Thanks for the info, BTW.