Re: Install manual, Finnish translation STARTED

Ardo> I prefer to make this more general, i.e. usable for other
Ardo> formats as well, and propose:

Ardo>     basename -- base filename without extension; for HTML this
Ardo> would be the basename of the directory to put the file in and
Ardo> for the other formats the basename of the target file

Ardo>     topname -- name for the top-level file without extension and
Ardo> only used for HTML (for now at least)

Hurm.  I think this scheme is fine; I'm not sure exactly how basename
and topname interacts.  For instance if my basename is 'doc-out/foo',
would my topname be 'doc-out/index' or 'index' ?

Could you suppress the creation of index.[LANG.]html entirely?
Suppose you have two documents, foo.sgml and bar.sgml, and you want to
have foo.html and bar.html in the same dir, co-existing...

Ardo> For the ultimate flexibility we could even provide an
Ardo> 'extension' PI with appropriate defaults (see below).

I like this idea.

Ardo> Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
>> I think you should keep the *default* naming semantics just as they
>> are in potato.  Add a switch for debiandoc2* to use LANG naming.
>> Add support for these PIs above, or alternatively, the equivalent
>> as flags to the programs.

Ardo> Then I would like to take this even one step further and provide
Ardo> both with the flags overwriting the PIs.  For the flags I
Ardo> propose

Ardo>     -c -- content-negotiation -b -- basename -t -- topname -e --
Ardo> extension

Yes -- if it would help get the first version out, it might be easier
to just skip the PIs for now?  Your call.

Ardo> Note that the "default" naming semantics still have in them the
Ardo> issue of source file names with a language indicator (as Tapio
Ardo> is planning to use) resulting in target file names with this
Ardo> language indicator if none of the PIs are set and no command
Ardo> line flag is given.  But hey, its their choice to do so.

Oh, yeah, if the source file is named with language indicator, true....

Ardo> Speaking about the extensions, I would like to make the defaults
Ardo> as follows:

Ardo>     HTML -> .html LaTeX2E -> .tex (was .latex2e) Lout -> .lout
Ardo> Texinfo -> .texinfo Text -> .txt (was .text) TextOV -> .tov (was
Ardo> .textov)

Ardo>     DVI -> .dvi PS -> .ps (irrespective of intermediate format)
Ardo> PDF -> .pdf (idem)

Ardo> If someone e.g. wants to compare the PostScript generated via
Ardo> LaTeX2e and Lout, she can always use the command line flags.

I agree this is a good idea. I don't think it would break too much to
enable this.