Re: Install manual, Finnish translation STARTED

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:08:38 +0200, Tapio Lehtonen <tale@iki.fi> said:
> Some practical matters about Installation manual translations I have
> STARTED to translate the "Installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.1" manual to
> finnish, in co-operation with Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho. There are some
> issues that need resolving, probably other translations have these
> same problems but I have not been able to see those other
> translations to check them out.

Yeah, me neither.  I'm glad you decided to air these things.

> Some of the issues:

> - I made a dictionary file, for translating terms between english
> and finnish. This is partly for Kaijanaho and me so we use the terms
> consistently, but depending on how it turns out, it might be useful
> for the finnish reader also. Can I add a dictionary chapter to the
> Installation Manual?

Um, I guess.  What would be in it?  Do you mean a glossary?

BTW, I love patches; I'm sure while you translate you find lots of
typos and stuff.

BTW, do you have CVS access, i.e., shell on master?  *sigh* -- I wish
we had the proper stuff on cvs.debian.org setup...

> - Kaijanaho translated debiandoc-sgml to finnish. This translated
> version is available in potato, but I have not installed that for my
> own machine yet. But this version would be needed also on the
> machine that produces the distributed versions of Installation
> Manual, so the finnish translation is complete.

Ok, so to build the finnish installation manual you need
debiandoc-sgml from potato?  Does it build with the proper file
extentions on the file names for Apache content negotiation?

> - What should I do with the translation? I gathered from discussions
> that I should have the file install.fi.sgml in the same directory as
> the install.sgml so the *.ent files are available. I have set it up
> this way at my own machine, and created a makefile to produce the
> readable formats.

I don't mind putting it in the CVS of the boot-floppies package;
either you can cvs update that yourself if you have the access or I'll
update it for you.

That seems like the best place to put it.  I don't know how we're
going to handle looping over the Makefile for each language, *and* for
each platform -- clues?

> - I was going to translate the Intel x86 version, but since the
> .sgml source file is set up so that it contains architecture
> specific parts, most of the translation for other architecture gets
> done as a side effect. But should I translate all architectures,
> even those I can not use to check the translation, or expect
> contribution from other finnish speakers who have actually installed
> on those other architectures?

Do 'em all.  Let the bugs fall out later.

> - Are the other translations available somewhere?

Not yet; I'll be collecting them (at least the HTML) for the 2.1
section of the web site when I get a free second.