Re: Install manual, Finnish translation STARTED

Tapio Lehtonen <tale@iki.fi> writes:

> I originally created a separate directory for the
> Finnish translation, but messages in the mailing lists
> indicated the tranlations should be in the same
> directory as the install.sgml file with names
> install.<lang>.sgml. This is so that the *.ent files
> can be found with the same links.

Note that having the language indicator in the sgml source file name
results using the current version of debiandoc-sgml in target file
names with this same language indicator, also for html!!!  This may be
ok for the other target formats, but certainly not for html: the name
of the directory containing the html files is based on the source file
name.  So instead of one directory with all the languages we get one
directory per language.

If this latter is what we want it's fine with  me and I don't have to
change anything.  I can also implement a mechanism to check whether
the source file name has a language indicator and/or to check the
environment for a language indication, but it's not so difficult to
think about examples which go completely wrong here.

Instead I propose a cleaner and more robust solution: Simply require
that every debiandoc-sgml based source file has a language indicator,
including those in English.  Then there's no guessing as to what
language we're trying to process.  This also has the (minor, but
still) advantage that there's no need to set the environment to get
the document in the wanted language.  We only need to look at the
source file name.  For now (for ever?) we could default to English.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij